Safety Guarding and Process Automation
A full safety system to Category 3 was developed for a customer that used Axelent X-Guard safety distance guarding around the machine, Fortress Interlocks ’mechanical trapped key interlock system for all door interlocks and Rockwell Automation Compact GuardLogix safety PLC with Magelis HMI for safety control.
The safety upgrade also enabled the customer to upgrade the process control on the line with the combination of standard and safety Point I/O remote modules. All Point I/O modules were connected to the main GuardLogix PLC via Ethernet IP. An interface with both of the OEM presses was also required for their safety control to comply with Cat 3/AS/NZS 4024-2014. Some of the features of this line that were installed by Concentric Engineered Solutions are:
- Servo controlled sheet feeder for improved tension control and consistent scrap control (within 0.1mm).
- Double sheet sensor.
- Laser roll diameter measurement and dancer arm inclinometer sensor.
- Ability to ‘fly catch’ high inertia press flywheel.
- Dual pneumatic isolation valves with monitored pressure.
- Scrap bins integrated into the line safety system with RFID safety interlocks (line can only run if the bin is in the correct position).